Links of Interest
Distance to Downtown Chicago
Average Drive Times
18 Minutes to Chicago Loop
26 Minutes to O'Hare Airport
18 Minutes to Midway Airport
In 1890 a syndicate including Marshall Field sold more than 106 acres to investors who named the new subdivision Berwyn after a Philadelphia suburb. They acquired more land in 1891 after seeing how many middle class Chicagoans were drawn to this new community. In 1901 Berwyn voted to become an independent village so that it would not be annexed by Chicago. In l908 it was incorporated as a city.
The community began to draw many Czechoslovakian and other European families many of whom worked at the Hawthorne Works of the Western Electric Company. There was a large growth in population in the 1920’s which subsided during the Great Depression. There was another growth spurt after World War II. Population began to fall in the 1960’s but by 1990 some of the offspring of earlier residents returned to raise their own families.
Berwyn is known for its bungalows many of which have been restored. There are also examples of Victorian, English Tudor and Prairie School architecture.
Three Metra stations make it a very short commute to downtown Chicago.
The elementary schools in Berwyn, feed into either Morton East or Morton West high schools. Several parochial schools are also located in Berwyn and nearby is Morton Community College.
The recreation department maintains many sport facilities and provides recreational activities for residents of all ages.